The Fallen Cosmos: large scale interactive event and culture experiment
From: chickenjohn (chickenjohnchickenjohn.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
The Fallen Cosmos is the event that the SFIOP was started for. And things like it. It's an event akin to the All Worlds Fair but much grander in scale and bolder. The All Worlds' Fair didn't advertise any content, didn't list the participants and engage in any mass marketing. The Fallen Cosmos takes it one step further: you can only buy a ticket as a gift for someone else. And you can only buy a ticket as a reward from a Kickstarter campaign that ends this Wednesday at 2PM. That's 46 hours from now.

If you would like to get an idea of what the event is about, we have some clues for you…

This email list is for "event announcement", and I've been 100% true to that. I'm bending the rules today and sending this out because this is technically fundraising at this point. But because of spam filters and stuff, I have to bend rules. I'm not sure who is seeing what but if you have signed up on this list it's to receive stuff like this…     below is a pitch I wrote on the other list. Sorry if you are getting it twice. But this is important!!!!!!!

 We are just shy of $20,000. Any/every donation is a magical clue for a cosmic scavenger hunt for unicorn parts and pieces. Every ticket bought today is someone dropping a 454 blown motor in a Prius. With glasspacks. Whenever someone buys a ticket today, one less gallon of beige paint gets applied to the world. Every ticket you buy for someone else absolves you for ten times you didn't give a shit when it mattered. It's mysterious so we can SURPRISE YOU. When have we ever let you down?

I'm used to people telling me I'm crazy. Stupid. Wrong.  I'm used to people telling me "that won't work!" and then I make it work.  Happens all the time.

I'm not used to thinking "Yeah, that might not work."  Which is not the same as "I might fail."  Sure, I might fail.  I get that.  It's true.  I wrote a book about it.  But this event is a "that might not work."  Not like "you can't balance on one leg on a tightrope," but "you can't ignore the second law of thermodynamics."  Like:  this is just a thing that cannot happen.  And I'm trying to do it anyway.

 That's different.  It's strange.

 But I'm trying to do it anyway.

I talk a lot about how I'm trying to create the world I want to live in.  How we all are trying to create the world we want to live in.  Well, that's what this is.  I want to live in a world where people create shows for each other *as a gift.*  Where we give each other art, and the experience of art, and it's the most amazing thing ever.

 "The Fallen Cosmos" is an event, a show, an art project, that you can only experience if someone gives it to you.  I am trying to fund an entire, massive, 300 person, infrastructure-heavy show entirely on tickets that people give to each other.

 That's the world I want to live in.

Don't you want to live there with me? You could live next door to me, borrow my lawn mower…

Because I think they're wrong, those people who think this can’t be done.  I've had a lot of people tell me "you can't do that," not meaning "Chicken, you're not a good enough salesman," but meaning "the world doesn't work that way."  Meaning this is not a thing that happens, or ever can happen.  And I think they're wrong.  I think we can do it.  Because we want to live in that world - and because if we do it once, we can do it again.  And if we do it again, somebody else will start copying us, and suddenly we've changed the world into a place where people just out of the blue send each other tickets to amazing art experiences that are coming out of nowhere because we want to give.  Because we create amazing experiences that people give each other.

Because it’s really fucking cool.
The Fallen Cosmos is another show in the vein of the All Wolds’ Fair. This is the most ambitious thing we have ever attempted. We started organizing this 2 years ago. We are throwing an event that we can’t give you any information about. We have a contracted space and all that. We have all the elements, content, performers... But to have the delicate balance that we need to really make this amazing, you have to allow us to lead all of you blindly into it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403675975/the-fallen-cosmos

I implore you to come on this journey of discovery with us

chickenjohn