Art reception at the Institute of Possibility
From: chickenjohn (chickenjohnchickenjohn.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 22:06:55 -0800 (PST)
Hey there, we are having an art show on Thursday at our little place on Cesar
Chavez. There is no admission, just come and check out Paiges' work. Here is
the fancy write up by Vallerie:

Most of us have made a collage at some point in our lives, or have at least
seen plenty of them. When I hear the word collage, I think not first of the
sophisticated Dadaism of Hannah Hoch, but rather of glossy magazine cutouts,
overlapping and haphazardly arranged with excessive horror vacui, the curved
edges of the cut paper curling where there was not enough paste. This genre of
creative production may be the exclusive domain of preteen girls. Perhaps that
is why I am so delighted with Paige Saez’s recent series of collages. Saez
takes a page, so to speak, from the process of these amateur collage works, but
completely departs from them on a formal level, producing colorful abstractions
that balance delicately on fields of white space, urbane and guileless at once.

Saez’s point of departure is the magazine cutout. But rather than cut along the
outline of some existing form, Saez arbitrarily cuts oblong shapes out of
textures she likes. In a move that is most likely a premeditated effort to step
away from the clichéd magazine collage described above, Saez then scans the
cutout shape and prints it onto sticker paper multiple times. This eliminates
the glossy magazine texture and ensures uniform adhesion. She then “paints”
with these sticker shapes, augmenting the emerging forms with actual paint,
crayon, and other materials as she sees fit. Her convoluted and grown-up take
on the cutout collage has produced a series of brightly colored, well-balanced,
fun abstractions that blur the distinction between childlike and sophisticated.

Paige Saez’s new body of work is on display at the San Francisco Institute of
Possibility now thru January, with an artist reception Thursday, January eighth
at 7pm to 10.

3359 Cesar Chavez @ Mission