The Dancehall of Beautiful Radiant Things Jan 21st, Verdi Club SF
From: chickenjohn (chickenjohnchickenjohn.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:28:29 -0800 (PST)

Greetings from Earth you wonderful strange people,

My friend Mark was visiting from NY over the summer and said, "Rick, I have an event we do in NY you should produce in the Bay Area, its tons of fun. Its called the Dancehall of Beautiful Radiant Things".

He was right (Mark is always right), it was an amazing event. And we are doing it again on the 21st.

The Dancehall of Beautiful Radiant Things is a slow dance club that welcomes dancers of all skill levels and non-dancers to share a night of vignette moment with strangers and friends. Attendees are given a dance card upon entry with 21 spots for 21 songs to be filled by you with other attendees. We will begin with a simple lesson of the dancestep and then leave it to you to fill up your card. You do not need to be an accomplished dancer as the emphasis is on the interaction not how good of a lead or follow you are. Dress to the nines and come mingle with us for a night not to be forgotten.

Where does the name come from? I'm glad you pretend asked. Famed anarchist Emma Goldman has been quoted as saying, "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Kinda flippant for such an important social intellectual? Well that's because the quote is wrong and made easier to digest for our pop masses. What actually happened was she was pulled aside at a dancehall by a dour member of her movement and chastised for being such an important person to the Movement to be found at something as flippant as a dance. Emma being the brilliant person she was responded, "I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement would not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. I want freedom, the right to self-_expression_, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things." Cheers to you Emma.

We host the event at the historic and beautiful Verdi Club. It perfectly sets the scene for our night of slow dancing and imagining us in a bygone era where dancehalls was the social network of its day.

And just for the members of Chicken's mailing list I'm handing out a special discount code 'dammit' o give you 20% off presale price!

Street Address of Event: Verdi Club, 2424 Mariposa St, SF CA 94110