Fallen Cosmos
From: chickenjohn (chickenjohnchickenjohn.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:55:34 -0800 (PST)
So you may or may not know that the SFIOP is currently undertaking the event that we put our organization together for: The Fallen Cosmos. It's the largest, most ambitious thing any of us have ever done. We have decided to keep the specifics out of it and retain the mystery and fun. As such we have not allowed anyone to know anything about the event. Anything. At all. Who's in it, where it is, the content… nothing. We sold out all 700 tickets on the kickstarter, so there is really nothing to market.

OR IS THERE!?!?!?!?!?!

Here is the page on our site, which has no information available:

There are 4 videos there that you could watch, which give clues. There is also an essay contest which you can join to get a ticket for yourself. You can read a few of the essays there, they are quite grand.

The mechanic we are using for ticketing is very simple: you can only buy a ticket for someone else. As a gift. We thought it would interesting. We had no idea how fascinating it would be. Like, totally mind blowing. People cheating. People straight up lying. We have so far found at least 6 ways people have bent the rules to accommodate themselves. It's hysterical.

It's a simple premise: "You can only buy a ticket for someone else, as a gift." Boom. Done. Right? Whoa. Crazy shit is happening. The sheer amount of effort going into finding ways to game our little system warms my black little heart… but it's a hit. It's totally working. People are thinking about gifting. And there is a lot of thinking to be done. I've always thought of the whole 'gift economy' as kinda an oxymoron. It's either a gift or it's part of an economy. Kinda like anarchy convention. Anyway…

This thing is a massive undertaking. We are happily building away and arguing about content and doing all the things that people do in regards to large scale interactive theatre. It's totally fun.

But we wanted to make it even funner. So we added a scavenger hunt that people can do to find out the location of the event. Which is hysterical and amazing.

The plans that people have are nothing short of impossible and absurd. Hundreds of volunteers and performers. Months of costume making. Lights. 5 sound systems. Filmmaking. Dirt delivery. Truckloads of seaweed. Birdseed. Messy foods.

Anyway. I can't be doing all this without at least talking about it a little bit. It just doesn't seem right.

thanks for listening…

chicken