Floating World Seduction, Feb 19th
From: colin fahrion (colin.fahriongmail.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:51:25 -0800 (PST)
I wanted to call your attention to the Asian Art Museum's "Courtesans, Cooks, Samurai and Servants: Seduction Opening Party"

Now what am I doing promoting an event at a museum? Let alone an event that SFIOP has no part in?

Well it's because Midori, the artist behind this event, is recreating a painting using cardboard props and an immersive performance with a large cast of characters.… Sound familiar? Humorously, she didn't know anything about Fallen Cosmos before she was already near completion of planing her event.

Midori is recreating a 58-foot Japanese scroll depicting a lively visit to the Yoshiwara that is the centerpiece of their latest exhibition. She's recruited Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence for the performance. It's highly likely that the museum goers won't know what to make of it all. She is trying to inject bawdy immersive performance into a museum space in a way they've never done.

Maybe the Asian Art Museum will force her to tame her (often erotic boundary pushing) creativity. Maybe the attendees will be so drunk on sake-tastings, dance party beats, and museum banality that they end up completely ignoring the immersive world Midori is creating. Or maybe it'll be amazing.

Regardless, if only for the massive "performance as a painting" coincidence I thought it was fitting the SFIOP announce this. But also, I personally applaud her for her gumption and support this kind of immersive art, especially when it invades spaces where it is unexpected.

The art of Seduction comes to life
Thursday, February 19, 7–11 PM
$20 regular, $10 students with valid ID, members free
http://www.asianart.org/exhibitions_index/seduction-opening-party

Yay Art!
-Colin