BRUCE BARTON: SURREALIST COLLAGES art show at Chez Poulet 3/26 7-10pm
From: chickenjohn (chickenjohnchickenjohn.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:28:11 -0700 (PDT)
BRUCE BARTON:  SURREALIST COLLAGES
Curated by LadyBee

Chez Poulet, 3359 Cesar Chavez St, San Francisco, CA

Opening reception Thursday March 26, 7:00- – 10:00

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1572744936300288/

Bruce Barton is a local flea market vendor, who has been making art for nearly 50 years. Bruce uses antique photographs, botanical prints, book covers and cigar box lids as bases for cut paper and mixed media collage.  In his intriguing world, plants sprout tiny human heads, fish, birds and skeletal hands; birds light on the heads of 19th century ladies; huge hands grow from the earth like trees; plants, fish-men and birds in derbies emerge from anatomically diagrammed heads.

The work is complex, haunting, and reflective of Bruce’s work as a flea market dealer in antiques and ephemera. Not technically an outsider artist, Bruce studied art at Kent State University in the early 70’s, but then stopped making art until 2009; only recently does he consider himself to  be an artist. This is his first solo exhibition.

According to Bruce, “ My work is a release, a comfort zone. It makes me feel good about myself, it makes me feel good when people like it. I talk to  a lot of artists at the flea market and ask for a sample of what they do. I encourage them all to keep making art. “

The exhibit features 40 framed collages, as well as a selection of unframed altered photographs, cigarbox lid collages, paintings on antique book covers and small paintings on board. Prices range from $50 - $500; cash/checks only.

Contact ladybeesf [at] gmail.com for images and information.